The students’ associations in Jharkhand have organized a bandh (shutdown) in protest against the state government’s revised recruitment policy. The Jharkhand State Student Union (JSSU), representing various students’ associations, has called for the bandh to oppose the new policy known as ’60:40.’ This policy reserves 60 percent of seats in state government jobs for aspirants from the state, while the remaining 40 percent is open to candidates from anywhere. The students’ demand is for 100 percent reservation for local residents in state government jobs.
Bandh Impacts Transportation and Market Activities
In response to the bandh, authorities have deployed police to maintain law and order and prevent any untoward incidents. The streets of Ranchi, the capital city, experienced reduced vehicular movement, although the overall impact was limited. Police remain on standby at various barricades, and most shops have remained closed during the bandh.
Limited Impact of Bandh in Ranchi and Other Parts of the State
Ranchi City SP Shubhanshu Jain reported that the bandh has had no significant impact on the city thus far. Some agitators were spotted on bikes near the bus stand, but the situation remained normal, with transportation and other activities proceeding as usual. Similar circumstances were observed in other parts of the state, with the impact of the bandh being negligible during the morning hours.
Agitators Enforce the Bandh in Ranchi
Students from the participating associations took to the streets early in the morning in Ranchi to enforce the bandh. At Ranchi’s Khadgara bus stand, the agitators requested bus and auto-rickshaw operators not to operate their vehicles. However, local transport continued to function normally. In the morning, vegetable markets in areas such as Kokar-Lalpur Road and Naga Baba Khatal operated as usual.
JSSU Leader’s Statements and Call for Bandh
JSSU leader Devendra Mahto, speaking about the recruitment policy, alleged that it opened the door for outsiders to obtain Jharkhand government jobs, which they cannot allow. Therefore, they have called for a 48-hour bandh in Jharkhand, starting from June 10. Mahto mentioned that the JSSU met with 72 MLAs, including 42 from the ruling parties, and 13 MPs to seek their support in this agitation. Although some expressed opposition to the policy, job advertisements continue to be issued based on the 60:40 ratio.
The Hindustan Herald Is Your Source For The Latest In Business, Entertainment, Lifestyle, Breaking News, And Other News. Please Follow Us On Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, And LinkedIn To Receive Instantaneous Updates. Also Don’t Forget To Subscribe Our Telegram Channel @hindustanherald