The Congress has made a comeback in the southern state of Karnataka, winning a majority and rendering South India “BJP-free”. Here are ten key points that illustrate the significance of Congress’ massive victory in the country’s political sphere:
- Best Performance Since 1989: This is the Congress’s best performance in Karnataka since 1989 when the party won 178 seats.
- Victory in Kharge’s Home State: The Congress’s victory in Karnataka is also a significant moral victory for Congress National President Mallikarjun Kharge, as it is his home state.
- No Party Retained Power Since 1985: Karnataka has remained true to its nearly 40-year tradition of voting out the incumbent.
- Congress Makes Way Back In South: The Congress’s victory in Karnataka marks the party’s return to the southern region of India.
- BJP Loses Its Only Stronghold in South India: With this historic defeat, the BJP has lost its only stronghold in South India, as it no longer has a chief minister in any southern state.
- Prime Minister Modi’s Campaign: Despite a high-pitch campaign led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the BJP could not retain power in Karnataka. PM Modi had participated in 19 public meetings and six roadshows.
- Worst Performance by JDS Since 1999: The Janata Dal Secular (JDS)’s performance in this Assembly elections is being considered the worst since 1999.
- BJP Defeated in B L Santosh’s Home State: The BJP lost in the home state of B L Santosh, a senior party leader, after losing in Himachal Pradesh, the home state of BJP National President JP Nadda.
- Former CM Jagadish Shettar Loses: Former Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar, who had recently switched from the BJP to the Congress, was defeated by the BJP’s Mahesh Tenginakai in the Hubli-Dharwad Central assembly segment.
- Corruption and Welfare Schemes: Making corruption a central campaign theme and promising free rice, power, and employment schemes are among the factors that likely contributed to the Congress’s good performance.
The Hindustan Herald Is Your Source For The Latest In Business, Entertainment, Lifestyle, Breaking News, And Other News. Please Follow Us On Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, And LinkedIn To Receive Instantaneous Updates. Also Don’t Forget To Subscribe Our Telegram Channel @hindustanherald