As the most special day for mothers approaches, it is important to show them just how much we appreciate them. This Mother’s Day, instead of opting for store-bought treats, why not surprise your mother with a homemade cake? Our food editorial team at Hindustan Herald has created a delicious recipe for a chocolate and vanilla layer cake that is sure to impress. With its rich and indulgent flavours, this cake is the perfect way to spoil your mother and make her feel truly special. Follow our simple steps and create a delectable surprise that she will cherish forever.
- 250g unsalted butter
- 250g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 250g self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and prepare two 20cm round cake tins by lining them with baking parchment.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until they are light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and then sift in the flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder.
- Add the vanilla extract and milk to the mixture and mix until you have a smooth batter.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two tins and smooth the tops with a spatula.
- Bake the cakes for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and leave them to cool for 5 minutes before turning them out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the frosting, you will need:
- 200g milk chocolate
- 200g unsalted butter
- 300g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp double cream
- Melt the milk chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water.
- In another mixing bowl, beat the butter until it is soft and then sift in the icing sugar.
- Add the vanilla extract and double cream and beat the mixture until it is smooth.
- Add the melted chocolate to the mixture and mix until everything is well combined.
- Leave the frosting to cool and thicken slightly before spreading it over the top of one of the cakes.
- Place the second cake on top and spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides of the cake.
- If desired, decorate the cake with fresh strawberries, raspberries, or edible flowers.
Indulge in the rich and luscious flavours of our chocolate and vanilla layer cake this Mother’s Day. The perfect combination of these classic flavours will satisfy your sweet cravings and create a memorable experience for you and your mother. Our recipe is easy to follow and takes only a few simple steps, allowing you to focus on making this day extra special for your mother. So go ahead, try this recipe and show your mother how much you love her.
The Hindustan Herald Is Your Source For The Latest In Business, Entertainment, Lifestyle, Breaking News, And Other News. Please Follow Us On Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, And LinkedIn To Receive Instantaneous Updates. Also Don’t Forget To Subscribe Our Telegram Channel @hindustanherald