The security of the Varanasi MP-MLA court Judge, Awanish Gautam, has been increased following his sentencing of gangster Mukhtar Ansari to life imprisonment in the Awadesh Rai murder case.
- The Varanasi MP-MLA court judge sentenced Mukhtar Ansari to life imprisonment in the Awadhesh Rai murder case of 1991.
- Ansari, a gangster-turned-politician, was found guilty of the murder and given a life term along with a fine of Rupees 1 lakh.
- The victim, Awadhesh Rai, was a Congress leader and the brother of former MLA Ajay Rai. He was shot dead outside Ajay Rai’s residence on August 3, 1991, in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh.
- The court’s verdict came after 32 years of legal proceedings and hard work by Ajay Rai and his supporters.
Increased Security Measures
- In response to the high-profile case and potential security risks, the security of Judge Awanish Gautam has been enhanced.
- The increased security measures aim to prevent any untoward incidents and ensure the safety of the judge.
- The security of Ajay Rai, the brother of the victim, is also under review.
Reactions to the Verdict
- Ajay Rai welcomed the court’s verdict, considering it a victory after a 32-year-long battle.
- He expressed gratitude to all those who supported him throughout the legal process.
- Ajay Rai held the BJP government responsible for any untoward incident that might occur.
Details of the Murder Case
- On August 3, 1991, assailants in a Maruti van opened fire on Awadhesh Rai while he was standing outside his brother’s residence in Varanasi’s Lahurabir area.
- Awadhesh Rai was critically injured and later succumbed to his injuries at a hospital.
- Following the incident, Ajay Rai filed an FIR at Chetganj police station, implicating Mukhtar Ansari, Bhim Singh, Kamlesh Singh, Rakesh, and former MLA Abdul Kalam in the murder.
- Two of the named accused, Kamlesh and Abdul Kalam, have since passed away.
Previous Convictions of Mukhtar Ansari
- In April of the same year, Mukhtar Ansari was sentenced to 10 years in prison and fined Rupees 5 lakh in a separate kidnapping and murder case involving the death of BJP MLA Krishnanand Rai.
- The conviction in the Awadhesh Rai murder case adds to Ansari’s legal troubles.
The Hindustan Herald Is Your Source For The Latest In Business, Entertainment, Lifestyle, Breaking News, And Other News. Please Follow Us On Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, And LinkedIn To Receive Instantaneous Updates. Also Don’t Forget To Subscribe Our Telegram Channel @hindustanherald